Have you ever been to a museum? It is the house of historical objects. As children, a lot of us went there with our parents. Now, several parents are taking their kids there also. There are some facts about the museums in America that will attract you to them. One of them is that the American museum’s record about 850 million visits each year. Isn’t this statistics amazing? Also, you should know the museums in America spend more than $2 billion a year on education activities.
Museums are an important part of the growth of countries that have them. They also have a lot to offer people like you. Based on the above, we want you to know some of the reasons why you should visit a museum:
- To understand your culture: There are several artifacts in museums that have to do with your cultural background. For an individual who has learned a lot about his culture through history books, a visit to a museum will bring some of what you have learned to life. You need to visit a museum today to see the things you have read about in real life.
- It fosters community development: A museum usually doubles as a tourist center. The revenue which is gathered through tourism can be channeled into other programs. These other programs will promote the development of your community.
- It’s a great opportunity to learn: Life is not all about what they teach you in school or university. There are times you need to venture out on your own to explore. In museums, you have access to many things. Usually, there is information about objects and work of art so you can spend some time reading and catching up.
- You can meet new people: If you are a people person, a museum will be a perfect place for you to visit. You will meet people from all over the world. Locals are not the only ones that visit museums. Tourists visit exhibition halls.
- To you can spend quality time with friends and family: There’s no better place to take your family and friend to than a museum. The museum is quiet. The serenity you experience at the park is the exact one you experience at the museum. If you need to plan a day out with your family next time, think about the museum.
Quick Tips on Becoming a Member of a Museum
You don’t have to visit museums as a visitor all the time. You can become a member of any museum. Many benefits accrue to being a member. Here are some quick tips on becoming a member:
- Choose a museum you like: You should consider choosing a museum you like. You should also consider the proximity to your house. Would you want to be traveling for hours just because you’re a member?
- Go on their website: There is a token fee you have to pay for being a member. Membership brings with it many benefits which you will enjoy, unlike a regular visitor. Make sure the membership plan you choose is one you have the financial capabilities.
- Provide the required information: Rather than go online, you can show your interest by going to the museum. You can walk up to any museum official and tell them about your intention. You will be given a form to fill in your details. They will also educate you on the benefits accrue to you as a member.
- Submit your form: Once you submit your form, and you pay the required fees, you are officially a member. Make sure you collect your membership card. You are ready to enjoy the benefits.
Amazing Artifacts to buy in Museum
It will be a sin for you to go to a museum and not buy an artifact, especially if it’s your first time. Here are some amazing artifacts you should consider buying on your visit to the museum:
- Fossils: Are you wondering what fossils are? According to Wikipedia, they are “the preserved remains of animals, plants, and other organisms from the remote past.” You might just see the remains of dinosaurs at the museum you visit.
- Roman and Greek coins: Many people value this coins. Maybe they believe it might be worth a lot in the nearest future. Some people also deal in ancient coins. If you love antiques, you should consider buying coins.
- Religious implements: Our history has a deep foundation in religion. The cross necklace or earrings some people wear as jewelry means something to Christians. When you visit any museum, you might see some religions implements for sale. Religious implements include Egyptian Scarabs and ushabtis, Medieval Christian crosses, ancient jewelry, ancient arrow, spear heads, ancient tools, and so on.
Countries That Have Established Museums as a Source of National Revenue
Museums are a source of National revenue for some countries. They rely heavily on the museum to attract tourists. Tourists pay an entrance fee. The more tourists that visit, the more revenue the country will have. Here are some countries like that:
- The United States of America: There are more than 35,000 museums in the United States. The government has put so much into each of these museums, and the effort is yielding large revenues for the country.
- India: The National Museum, New Delhi was established in 1949. In the museum are over 206,000 artifacts. It’s no wonder many tourists are attracted to the museum. There are many things to see. The museum is divided into several departments which make seeing artifacts easier. Some of them are pre-history archaeology, anthropology, Central Asian antiquities, and so on.
- France: France is the home of the world’s largest museum called “Louvre Museum”. It doubles as a historic monument. Some of the other museums in France are Versailes. Musée national d’Art modern in Paris, Musée d’Orsay in Paris and much more. Each of these museum records not less than million visitors all through the year. In the year 2014, Louvre Museum recorded 8,711,000 visitors. With all these incredible numbers of visitors from all around the world, France records massive revenue from this sector.
The truth is that museums are beautiful. When you go there, you experience serenity and calmness. If you are interested in learning many things about the past, a museum is one of the best places you will learn. We advise you to do so now!
Photo Credit: Therealchicago