Anthony stared into space. His vision was not focused on anything in particular. He had just had a hard time coping with what he felt was consuming him. Just three weeks ago, he had lost his mother. She was his demigod. She was always there for him during the hard times. And now the cold hands of death have just snatched her from him without any warning. His major grouse is how he will cope or overcome this bereavement.
Have you ever been in Anthony’s predicament before? Have you struggled with the pain of losing a loved one? Well, you are not alone. We are certain many people reading this right now have been in this position before. Losing a loved one comes with extreme pain. The agony can and mostly like will last for months. While there is no perfect way to grieve, we can tell you some healthy ways to overcome the pain. Below are some tips you can use to overcome the agony of losing a loved one:
- Go through the stages: A psychiatrist named Elizabeth Kϋbler-Ross developed a theory about the stages of grief many people go through. Her findings were based on numerous patients she studied. The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance respectively. When you lose a loved one, there is a possibility you will go through these stages. Just know the reactions are normal and you will heal with time.
- Surround yourself with family and friends: Having other people around you who understand what you are going through will help you improve a great deal. Surround yourself with friends and family you love. When you notice you are sliding into a depressive mood, endeavor to call them. The assistance from them will go a long way to help you overcome the agony you feel.
- Join a support group: For some people, having their loved ones around only aggravates the pain. If you fall into this category, involving yourself in a support group might bring you more solace. Knowing and physically seeing there are many other people in your shoes might help in overcoming the agony.
- Book a date with a therapist or grief counselor: Talking to a health care professional about your grief is also another way to help you overcome the agony of losing a loved one. A qualified and trained therapist is equipped to help you through the intense emotions. They will also help you figure out why it’s taking a longer time for you to overcome the agony.
- Express your feeling creatively: Feelings can be very intense. The feelings that will wash over you when you lose a loved one can make you very emotional. You need to learn to channel these emotions into something creative. Write in your journal about how you feel. Join an art class where you can paint as a way to express your grief. Expressing your feelings with this method will help you think logically. With time, you will heal.
It’s not an easy task coping with the grief of losing a loved one. In fact, it is one of the hardest things ever. However, we care about your health. And that is why we have provided you with these well-researched tips on how to cope with the agony. Believe us when we say you are fully equipped when you follow the ways stated above.
Photo Credit: Funeralfund