Without the military in our country, have you thought about what our country would be like? Have you thought about how our safety would be guaranteed? The importance of armed forces in our country is paramount and well-known. Without them fighting for us, our nation would be open to danger from external forces. Countries would fight each other, but there would be no one to defend the citizens. That would, in turn, lead to the death of many citizens who cannot fight for themselves.
Military personnel give so much to the society. Because of the nature of their job, many of them leave their families for months. They face threats and danger every day. They can lose their lives any time. The least we can do for these brave individuals is to support them any way we can. We should not make them feel like the people they are fighting for don’t appreciate them. Here are some ways we can support the military:
- Display the American Flag: To you, this gesture might be small, but to military personnel, it means they are not forgotten. Displaying a flag is an act of patriotism and loyalty. When military men see it, they believe people remember them daily. That single thought pushes them to keep fighting. You can display the flag in your car, your home or place of business.
- Show Military Events on TV: You can engage the media to highlight the great work the military men and women are doing. By doing this, you will create awareness in the society about our heroes.
- Send a Care Package: The fact that military men and women are posted to secluded places or countries does not mean they are cut off from the entire world. They can receive letters and care packages. However, sending a package has a special procedure. It is better to send through a non-governmental organization.
- Donate to the Cause: Just like charities, you donate to once in a while, military personnel can also receive donations. An excellent way to support them is to look for associations that handle military donations. For instance, Operation Write Home was an organization like that. When they were functioning, they sometimes sent blank, handmade written cards to the nation’s armed forces. The military men and women were able to write home to contact their family.
Tips on How Veterans Can Support Themselves
The first thing you need to know is who a veteran is. Veterans are military personnel who have been in active service for a long time. In the United States Code 38, the term “veteran” is defined as “a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable.” The fact that they are old make it harder for them to keep fighting for their country. Here are some tips on how veterans can support themselves:
- Talking to Each Other: Many veterans leave active service because they cannot serve anymore. Some live because they lose one body part or the other due to an incident. When many of them stop serving, the scenes they witnessed, the people that might have been killed by them haunts them. They suffer Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and sometimes commit suicide because they believe they have nothing to live for. By constantly talking to each other about their experiences, they are supporting each other. The suicide rate will decrease and so will the feeling of loneliness.
- Spend Time with Family and Friends: Veterans lose a lot of time with their friends and family when in active service. Sometimes, they spend years away from their families. By spending time with their loved one, they catch up on lost time. A great way for all veterans to support each other is to bring all their families together. That way, their partners have a way to express their feelings and the veterans will be showing support to each other.
- Join a Veteran Group: In the US, there are many veteran groups. These groups are established for former military men to help themselves. Some examples of these groups are Disabled Veterans Association (DAV), American Veterans for Equal Rights, and so on.
How to Join a Military Support Group
Now that you know what military men and veterans face, you might be thinking of joining as a way of giving your own back to the people who are serving you. If you or someone you know wants to join one of these groups, here are some steps you should follow:
- Know the Support Group You Want to Join: There are many support groups with different aims. For instance, some groups are particularly for wives of military men to help them deal with the new military lifestyle. There are also groups for children of military personnel to help them handle the new situation of not having their parent around. So, you need to know the exact area you’ll be most useful.
- Do Your Research: Once you know the area your help will be most needed, start your research. As always, the internet is most people’s first choice when searching for anything. Search for organization within your locality or near it. You can also look for a military support service center around your community and inquire on how to join. Alternatively, you can talk to people around you. One or two of them might know someone who is in a support group.
- Determine if You Can Meet the Requirements: A support group is not all about you. It is about everyone that comes there looking for comfort and help. You need to know if you can give your time, skill, talent, and energy to achieve a greater good. Whatever you decide will propel your decision.
You might think military men are strong. Hence they don’t need our support. Your belief is wrong. They need our help just as much as the next person. They are human beings! They might have gone through vigorous training to be able to handle the battlefront, but that does not mean they don’t feel. That does not mean their family members are resilient. Show your support any way you can. Salute a military personnel or veteran when you see him or her. Show them respect. All in, help them in any way you can.
Photo Credit: Blackenterprise