Your fairytale has now begun. You have finally met the love of your life. And just as in the movies, you’ve got someone who is devotedly yours – someone who from all indication has got your back. The days of doing things alone are a forgotten memory as you can now share your activities with a willing partner.
The thrill of being in a relationship can be exciting. But if not done in the right way, it could leave you nursing an intense phobia for any type of commitment in the future. As this is a new phase of your life, we understand if you are confused on how to go about it. Contrary to popular belief, relationships are not rocket science if you know exactly what you are doing.
In this article, we shall offer some advice that will start your budding relationship on a smooth sailing:
- Maintain a balance: It is very easy to get carried away with meeting the needs of your other half and neglecting every other aspect of your life. In your quest to fulfill the roles of a doting partner, do not put your life on standstill. So, engage in activities with other people besides your partner and participate in any activities that would make you happy and fulfilled. Try as much as possible not to neglect your friends, too. If your relationship ever goes south, they will be there to help you pick the pieces.
- Don’t succumb to pressure: Peer pressure is particularly worse at this stage of your life. It’s easy to get caught up doing something just because everyone is doing it. Decide with your partner on what your shared values will be. Agree on how far both of you are willing to go on this journey. Being pressured to do what you don’t want to do could brew up feelings of resentment towards your partner. And if you are not comfortable doing certain things, voice your disapproval.
- Know your limits on social media: Let’s face it, we are in a narcissistic age. People feel the need to inform others about every single detail of their lives. While this might seem like a way of validating your relationship, we believe that the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. There should be moments that are only known to both of you. Sit down with your partner and agree on what to post on social media. Resist the pressure to provide a live narrative of your relationship on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media platforms. Remember, the internet does not forget: anything you post on the cyberspace stays there forever.
- Choose your battles wisely: It is inevitable that conflicts will arise occasionally in your relationship. That is, your partner will do things that will rub you off the wrong way. You could also do the same to your loved one as well. Irrespective of whoever is at fault, refrain from getting your pound of flesh. Try as much as possible to remain calm and think of how to find a solution to the challenges.
- Have the courage to move on: Humans are unpredictable. You can apply every of these tips, yet the relationship may still hit the rock. So, always be prepared for the worst and move on when things go awry.
In a Nut Shell
No rules are set in stone, though. So, be willing to tweak and incorporate the tips mentioned above in your relationship. Don’t be afraid to fail or make mistakes. Just do your best and everything will fall in the right place.
Photo Credit: Plannedparenthood