Recently, the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) released its facts and statistics after conducting a thorough and detailed inquiry. Around sixteen million adults who are eighteen years old and above have experienced at least one major depressive episode in the last year. That figure represents about 7% of all adults in America currently. Kids and teens are not exempted as well. Out of 100 young children, at least 3 of them suffer from depression. And at least 8 out of 100 teens may have major or persistent depressive disorder.
Do you know the implication of these facts and figures? Depression has eaten deep into our lives and our society. Your next-door neighbor might be depressed. That teenager you think doesn’t like talking to anyone might be battling with depression. You might be a victim of this illness. Do you know you can overcome depression and live a happy, healthy life? Yes, it is a possibility if you follow these excellent tips accordingly:
- Be mindful of your thoughts: When a person is depressed, he or she will continue to mull over what is wrong. Doing this leads to unnecessary worries which will only escalate the feelings of depression. The best way to stop this thought process is by practicing mindfulness. Mindfulness is a skill which focuses on what is happening in the present by using the senses. Your sense of sight, smell, taste, sound, and touch need to be engaged to stop you from mulling over negative thoughts. Notice the sun outside and how it makes you feel. Hear the sounds of the birds chirping in happiness. With time, you will forget why you were depressed in the first place and just be happy.
- Be a music lover: Music has been touted to be the food for the soul. Do you know music has the power to alter your brain chemistry? You might be ecstatic. But listening to sad, soulful music can make you feel sad. The opposite is true as well. To overcome depression, listen to happy music. If you love pop music, fill your playlist with such and dance to it when the depressive thoughts come. You might find this action very helpful and healing.
- Be active: Exercise has many benefits which can help you overcome depression. When you exercise, your body releases endorphins which improve mood. Moving your body by walking, swimming, jogging, and even dancing can help you overcome depression in no time.
- Be documentary: Writing in a journal can help overcome depression a great deal. When you become depressed, write down your fears and worries. Using writing as an outlet can soothe your mind and make you feel better. Think about what triggered the feelings and document it in your journal. Re-reading your journal entries might even make you realize there might have been some unwarranted exaggeration in what triggered the thoughts.
- Be social: Connecting with friends and family is very rewarding. When you are depressed, call a trusted friend or family member. Tell them how you feel. Just talking and knowing they care about you can lift the sad mood. Alternatively, you can decide to go out and just have fun. Isolating yourself is never the right choice when depressed.
Depression can be very hard to overcome. Once the feelings start, it may seem like there won’t be an end to it. However, with these tips, you are assured that overcoming it is a simple task. It’s as simple as A, B, C! That’s the truth!
Photo Credit: Netdoctor