Staying happy is a personal responsibility. Nobody can force happiness on you; they can only encourage you to be happy. There was a time in my life when I forgot how to be happy. I was deep in sorrow that even the funniest jokes got an occasional grin from me. I lost friends and opportunities. The ever bubbling me turned into a loner. You want to know what brought about the unhappiness. Alright, I will tell you. I lost my job, the job that I held dearer than life itself. I never thought I could be laid off because of my dedication to that job but then, life happens. Unknown to me, my action afterwards only confirmed that I had tied my happiness to that job.
Are you are also going through something similar to my above experience? I have good news for you. I found joy again, and you will find it also. After about six months of being a shadow of myself, despite all the efforts of my loved ones to get me back to old self, I made a decision. I decided to be happy and stay happy forever. I did some things then to get me right back on track, and I will be sharing them with you in this post.
The first thing I did was to identify the things that make me happy other than the job I lost. To figure out the things that make you happy, you can do the following:
- Remember the Happy Moments You Had in the Past: For some people, this can be a very long list. For others, they can count those moments with their fingers. If you are one of the latter group, good for you. It will be easier for you to arrive at the conclusion we need. On the other hand, if you have a very long list of the happy moments, it is equally good. Personally, I prefer the longer list; the more, the merrier.
- Write Down What Made Those Moments Special: This is the next step. You need to write the exact things you did that made those moments etched in your memory. When you finish, you will be surprised at the little things that make you happy. At least, my list got me wowed.
- Do Those Things Again: Here is the exciting part. Start to do those things you did back then. It is time to have fun again.
By the time you complete the three steps above, you would be able to identify those things that make you happy.
5 Reasons Why You Should be Happy
Now that you have been able to figure out what makes you happy, you are one step ahead of sadness. Just like it happened to me, you are still undecided as to whether you should choose happiness,right? Well, when I got to this point you are now, I had to list out some of the reasons why I should be happy. Here are five of them:
- You Are Still Alive: I am sure that right now, you are beginning to feel excited. You should be happy because you are still alive to experience the positive change that will happen to you. No matter the challenge that has plunged you into deep sorrow, your being alive should tell you that things may be bad now, but it will get better. Find the excitement about the fact that you are alive and let the thought make you happy.
- Be Happy Because Someone Loves You: People who love you want you to be happy. Do you still have a parent who tells you how much they love you? Do you have siblings who have unconditional affection for you? Or are you in a growing relationship? Even if you don’t have any of these and many more channels of love, I want you to know that I love you. If I don’t, I will not put so much time into writing this for you.
- Your Happiness Will Make Your Relationship Healthier: Do you think your partner wants you to keeping looking sad and gloomy? Unhappiness destroys association but happiness will keep your relationship secured and foster emotional stability for both parties involved.
- Staying Happy Will Make You Productive: An unhappy person is likely to have to repeat a task several times before getting it right. The repetition is a waste of time and resources.
- You Will Make Someone Else Happy: Happiness is contagious. Share a smile with someone right now. Better still, laugh out loud at a joke. This attitude will bless another person. When you make yourself happy, it will be easy for you to rob the happiness on another individual.
Health Benefits of being Happy You Should Consider
- Ability to Sleep Better: The body can relax better when it is happy. When you are relaxed, you will be able to sleep early and longer. For someone that is unhappy, there is so much weight on you that eventually makes sleeping a challenge.
- Reduces the Level of the Stress Hormones: An unhappy person will feel stressed up. There is a stress hormone called cortisol that is released when an individual is stressed up. High cortisol level can lead to other damaging ailments in people. Happiness keeps your cortisol level on the low side.
- Reduces the Risk of Heart Failure: When you are happy, you have a regulated heartbeat. It functions excellently and flawlessly. An unhappy individual is at risk of irregular heartbeat which can lead to heart failure.
- Reduces Headaches and Body Pains: It is a well-known fact that a sad person wears a frown always. Frowning uses up several muscles in the face. The muscles are overworked, and this causes headaches and body pains. Happiness saves you from this unnecessary health drama.
- Aids Quick Recovery: According to research, several unexplainable recoveries from terminal diseases were associated with the happy mood of some individuals. In fact, a lot of individuals that were medically confirmed to have few days left on earth lived for several more years because they chose happiness.
From above, it is evident that the advantages of staying happy are numerous. Irrespective of the life issue you are facing, you just need to look deeply within; there is always a reason to be happy. The truth is that your sadness cannot change anything that is bothering you, it will only make you unhealthy. So, choose happiness and watch your life blossom!
Photo Credit: Stockfresh