What are your thoughts right now? What will you think in the next five minutes? What will you think in the next one hour? The truth is we have no control over our thoughts. What we think about, comes and goes as it pleases. Your thought is a product of what you feel in your mind.
If you see someone of the opposite sex walk past you, what will be your first thought? As you are reading this article, what is your first thought? What we’re trying to make you understand is that what you think in your mind comes whether you want it or not. However, there is a way to control your mind not to think anything. Yes, it is possible. You can do it through meditation. Meditation is a state of inner peace when the mind is calm and silent. There are different types of meditation such as Buddhist meditation, mindfulness meditation, and so on. That is a topic you’ll read about another day. So, do you want to learn how to control your mind? Here are some excellent tips to follow:
- Examine Your Thoughts: We are constantly thinking twenty-four hours a day. Our mind doesn’t stop except we are asleep. An excellent way to control your mind is to examine your thoughts. Don’t judge your opinion or try to rationalize them. Let your thoughts flow. Don’t block them out. When they come, just take a passive position towards them. Then think, “they are just thoughts.” When you don’t act on your thoughts, you have successfully controlled your mind.
- Meditate Daily: Practice makes perfect. We’re sure you’ve heard that a million times. You can only control your mind through trying every day. Choose a type of meditation pattern. Research about how to do it. Then incorporate it into your daily activities.
- Don’t Tell Your Mind to Stop Thinking: Many beginners who are new to meditation make the mistake of telling their mind to stop thinking. Think about it. Our minds have the inability to process negative commands. If you tell your mind not to imagine a black dog, the first thing you will imagine immediately is a black dog. So, the more you tell your mind not to think, the more thoughts will run through your head.
- Let the Thoughts Go: At first, when the thoughts come, observe them and try to figure out why you just thought it. Then let go. It is easy to empty your mind entirely.
How to Meditate the Right Way
So, how can you control your thoughts? Can you remember? Now, you will learn the best ways to meditate. Here they are:
- Make Sure You’re Comfortable: You can choose to meditate in any position you desire. You can decide to sit, stand or lie down. The most important thing is you need to be in a place where you will not be disturbed. A lot of people that do yoga use mats and they cross their legs.
- Check to See How You’re Feeling: You can allow your thought rush at you within two minutes of being comfortable. Check to see how you’re feeling. Anxious? Sad? Angry?
- Breathe in, Breathe Out: Now that your mind knows it’s going to meditate, you will think more. But, focus on your breath. You can put your hand on your chest if it helps. Breathe in through your nose. Try to follow it. Connect with the process of breathing as it comes out through your mouth.
- Bring Yourself Back When You Wander: Of course, your mind will wander. We didn’t say it wouldn’t. But with conscious practice, you will get the hang of it. Just ask people that do yoga. When your mind wanders to other things, just start again. Start counting your breath and empty your mind again.
- Love Your Thoughts: As you progress in meditation, you can stop trying to empty your mind when the thoughts come. Instead, look at them as friends. Examine why you just had that thought. Figure out the root of the problem. Then let go and believe it is solved.
Amazing Benefits of Meditation
Did you try to meditate the right way while you were reading? Great! You’re getting the hang of it. Now, you cannot be doing something you don’t know the benefits of! We just cannot allow it! Here are some great benefits of meditation you should be aware:
- Meditation Can Make You Happier: Isn’t that one what everybody wants? Ask a thousand people and their answers will be the same. When you meditate, you filter your thoughts. You can let the sad thoughts go and focus more on what makes you happy.
- Better Mental Strength, Determination and Emotional Intelligence: When you can control your mind, you can control your reaction to a lot of things. For instance, if someone tries to get you down, just look the emotions that may bubble up inside you as an outsider. Meditation is what gives that mental strength because you know you have a choice whether to react to the negative energy or not.
- Meditation Increases Self-Awareness: Many people suffer from low self-esteem and little confidence. Studies have proven that meditating daily can help individuals regain their sense of self-awareness. When meditating, they find inner peace and ability to accept who they are.
- Increases Focus: As you have been reading for the past 5 minutes, a recurring fact you should you need to focus when meditating. The practice of meditating can be translated into other activities. Many students who meditate reported they were able to concentrate more when studying which translated into better grades.
- Meditation Reduces the Risk of Diseases: Stress is the primary cause of heart diseases and stroke. However, research over the years has shown that the risk of having a heart-related disease reduced by 45% for those who meditated every day. Isn’t that just wonderful?
Controlling your thoughts, mind, emotions, and reaction can only be done through meditation. If you try to research other ways, the results that will come up is that you learn to have a grip on your mind and what it thinks. If you wish to experience the kind of happiness that vibrates from deep within, learn how to meditate. The peace you will know will be second to none!
Photo Credit: Rediff