Everyone for sure likes to have a bite of chocolate. After all, it is a great way to keep our mouth yummy. Besides, if you want to make kids to like you, just give them a packet of chocolate and you will be their best friend. Adults are not alone in this. Most grown up people can spend hundreds of dollars just to get their favorite chocolate. But is it good for your health?
The answer to this question is moot. Some people believe that it is not, while some agree that it is good for the body. Well, we agree with both sides of the divide. But for those who think chocolates are not healthy foods, below are some ways we think they are beneficial to your health.
- Good for the heart and improves blood circulation: Yes, you read that right. Chocolate has a lot of benefits to the heart. In a recent study conducted on the effect of chocolate in the body. It was discovered that it helped to improve flexibility in arteries. Apart from this, it helps to prevent white blood cells from sticking to the walls of blood vessels. And this finally helps to prevent artery clogging.
- Decreases the chance of getting stroke: A research was recently carried out by Finland researchers. It was discovered that chocolate reduced the risk of getting stroke. The study was conducted on a group of men. And the final result revealed a decrease in the chance of getting stroke up to 17%.
- Improves the skin: There are some substances in the chocolate called “flavonols.” These flavonols protect the skin from sun damage.
- Helps in shedding weight: Chocolate helps to reduce weight by reducing your food intake. A study carried out by neuroscientist Will Clower revealed this. In the study, a small amount of chocolate was consumed 30 minutes before meal. It was discovered that a hormone that tells the brain “I’m full” is triggered. This therefore reduces your overall food intake. It was also discovered that taking chocolate after the meal helps further. It will help to further reduce subsequent meals.
- Improves the brain: The flavanols in chocolates are known to reduce memory loss in old people. It has also been found to be of benefits in treating brain injuries like a concussion.
- Makes you feel better: Chocolates contains phenylethylamine (PEA). PEA are chemicals that motivates your brains to release more endorphins. Endorphins are chemicals that are released by you that make you feel good. It is the same chemical that is released when you fall in love.
- Reduces the cholesterol in your body: It was stated earlier that chocolate contains a lot of cocoa. Cocoa is known to have several benefits to the body. One of its benefits is that it reduces the level of bad cholesterol in the body. It also increases the level of the good cholesterol on the other hand. This generally reduces the risk of getting cardiovascular diseases.
- Good for mothers and babies: A study was carried out on a group of expectant mothers. Some of the mothers took chocolate while others simply didn’t. At the end of the study, it was discovered that some babies smiled more than others. The result showed that the babies that smiled more belonged to mothers who took chocolate.
Cutting down on your intake of chocolate might seem like a good idea. However, a lot of people are ignorant of its benefits. Some of its benefits range from weight loss to skin care. Moderation is just the key to consuming this special candy.
Photo Credit: Planetmattersandmore