A lot of people that eat don’t care about where the crops came from. They also do not care about the processes that the crops had undergone before they bought it. Truth be told, the days of eating plants that are naturally grown is going extinct. Now, genetically modified crops are everywhere. As the years are going by, scientists and farmers are inventing newer, faster and better ways of doing things. Farming as a field has also gained the attention of technology. As a result, genetically modified crops were produced to provide stability and longevity for farm products. So, it makes it possible for food to be available for all throughout the year.
Pros of Genetically modified crops
There are several advantages of having crops that are genetically engineered. Some of them are shown below:
- High-quality crops: Most of the crops that have been genetically-modified can withstand harsh weather conditions. Such plants can thrive in soils that are usually not suitable for farming. For example, you can grow genetically modified crops in soil with high salt content, and they will thrive.
- Resistant to diseases: Genetically modified crops are less susceptible to common plant ailments. The modification is believed to have introduced vaccine into the gene of the crops. So, it makes them resistant to insects and other pests that can cause diseases.
- Sweeter in taste: A lot of genetically modified crops have been manipulated to taste better than naturally grown plants.
Cons of Genetically modified crops
Although genetically modified crops have several enticing advantages. They also have some disadvantages. Read on to know more about their cons:
- Increased level of toxins: Most of the genetically modified crops have more toxins in them. Such toxins are harmful to the human body. Additionally, some of the toxins mix with the protein in the crops. And they cause allergic reactions in the persons that ingest them. Increased level of toxins in crops is the primary cause of increased food allergies that is happening all around the world.
- Resistance to antibiotics: Bacteria that are used to genetically modified crops are not the usual ones. The organisms have been genetically modified to suit the purpose they were used for. So each time you eat such crops, genetically modified bacteria are introduced into your system. Such bacteria are resistant to antibiotics. Due to this fact, their presence in the body makes the treatment of common bacterial infection difficult.
- Results in new diseases: The microorganisms that were used to modify crops can create new diseases for humans. The bacteria and viruses are considered as threats to people’s health. Such organisms can cause the emergence of illnesses that are entirely new due to their altered genes.
It is evident from the pros of genetically modified crops that we may not be able to stop their production. Their continuity would be because they help the economy to grow. In addition, they make food more accessible and make life easier generally. However, if you want to avoid the disadvantages, you can learn how to identify natural and unmodified crops which are hundred percent safe for everyday consumption.
Photo Credit: Assignmenthelpsite